search  current discussion  categories  safety - toxicity 

entombing toxic glaze mater

updated tue 31 dec 96


Marcia Kindlmann on tue 3 dec 96

Subject: entombing toxic glaze materials


Please pardon repetition if this is already addressed in a post today; I get
my Clayart in Digest form so haven't seen today's posts yet.

I'd think it unwise to bring dry toxic glaze materials to a landfill. Lots of
problems have resulted from rain leaching stuff through soil into wells; I
don't know that all currently operating landfills do have liners.

Look into your local Hazardous Waste Disposal site. They take such things as
housepaint with lead, chrome, etc. and are designated to dispose of these
materials in ways considered safer. Might be safer than firing them yourself
& emitting fumes. (Does anyone know, BTW, what disposal methods are used for
such items when Hazardous Waste takes them?)

Marcia in Guilford CT

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:57:44 EST From: LINDA BLOSSOM
> Subject: Re: Entombing toxic glaze materials
> ----------------------------Original message----------------------------
> Dear Jeff,
> You could wait til summer, get a kiddie pool and dump the scraps in and
> let them dry. Then bag up the pieces and send them to the landfill. You
> can check with your county waste management department to see if they
> have any ideas. Does anyone have any idea whether the glaze ingredients
> are inert as long as they are dry? Aren't most landfills made with
> liners?
> Linda Blossom 2366 Slaterville Rd. Ithaca, NY 14850
> 607-539-7912
> ------------------------------

Linhares on fri 6 dec 96

Helloooo Clayart

I've heard of taking unwanted toxic glaze materials and firing them in the
kiln. If you dry them out and put them in a bowl you don't like, you can
fire them in the kiln with the rest of your stuff and the whole thing gets
fused into one insoluable mass perfect for any landfill. You could even
make it into brick shapes to edge your garden.

Paul in Ohio, where it's been grey. on sat 7 dec 96

Hazardous wastes must be treated or disposed of in an EPA permitted facility,
usually a landfill sometimes an incinerator or other treatment facility.
Landfills can not accept liquid wastes any more, so if any require disposal
they are "stabilized" by adding cement or clay or other similar material.
Small quantities of material generated by labs and (probably) potters
studios may be taken to you nearest "houshold hazardous waste" collection
facility where they will be reused/recycled to the extent possible and the
remainder sorted and similar/compatable materials packed in drums (termed
"lab packs"). These usually go to a RCRA* haz waste permitted landfill;
incinerators are quite costly but required for some types of chemicals if
present in sufficiently high concentrations.

The difference between a RCRA landfill that is permitted to accept hazardous
waste ("Subtitle D") and one that can only take regular munical garbage
("Subtitle C") is that the construction is more conservative - more
leak-proof liners, leachate collection systems, more stringent siting
requirements, etc.

Despite all these precautions, the best approach is to generate as little
hazardous waste as possible.

* Resource Conservation and Recovery Act

Liz Dodge/Berkeley

LINDA BLOSSOM on sun 8 dec 96

Dear Paul,

Have you actually tried this - making bricks or filling bowls with dried
glaze scrap?

Linda Blossom
2366 Slaterville Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14850