Paul Herman on mon 20 aug 12
It would be helpful to know the formula for the glaze, but I assume
it's a "secret formula" since it's from Georgie's. Is that correct?
I have used many raw ash glazes over many years, and never had one
develop mold. I think Georgie's must be putting something else organic
into the mix like cmc, gum or some plasticizer. Have you called their
tech advisor and asked them?
Great Basin Pottery
Doyle, California US
On Aug 19, 2012, at 6:59 AM, Dina Barnese wrote:
> I have a glaze that gives me problems. It is Georgie's Mustard Wood
> cone 6 glaze. The stuff grows the most horrid mold when it sits for
> length of time. It smells awful and the mold is downright scary. I
> have to
> skim the mold off the top each time I use the product before I
> screen it.
> This is the only glaze I've ever seen this happen with and it has
> in two separate batches.
> So with that lengthy backstory, I have a simple question: How can I
> mold from growing in this glaze? Would a couple of drops of bleach
> work or
> would it have a negative effect on the outcome?
> Dina Barnese
> Zizziba Studio
> Flagstaff, Arizona
Vince Pitelka on mon 20 aug 12
Paul Herman wrote:
"I have used many raw ash glazes over many years, and never had one develop
mold. I think Georgie's must be putting something else organic into the mix
like cmc, gum or some plasticizer. Have you called their tech advisor and
I think that Paul is right. It must be an additive like CMC that is causin=
the mold. We often have buckets of ash glaze that sit around for months or
even years and I have never experienced any mold.
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University