search  current discussion  categories  techniques - slips 

engobe and slip

updated wed 14 feb 01


Bettie Gorgels on tue 13 feb 01

Hi, I am new on this list.

A small introduction:
My name is Bettie Gorgels.
I am a potter from the Netherlands,Europe. I live in the Northeast, in
the city of Groningen.
I am a potter for 6 years now, since January you can see some of my
pottery on my website. I still have to write a cv for it, but a catalogue
with pictures of my work from 2000 is there.

I was reading all the email about slips and engobes. We use slip and
engobe for the same thing. But I found out that Robert Fournier uses
engobe and slip for two different things.
This is what he sais in his: Illustrated Dictionary of Practical Pottery
(third edition 1992)

Engobe: an American term for slip, but which also covers a wider field
than traditional slipware.Engobes may contain very little plastic clay,
being largely composed of materials more usually associated with
glazes- feldspars, flint, opacifiers and fluxes.As distinct from the earthy
qualities of European slipware, engobes are sophisticated and often
white or near-white, providing a base for coloring oxides. Engobe
recipes may appear involved and artificial but they are more adaptable
to stonewares and can even be used on biscuit.

Slip:any clay or body mixed with water to a smooth creamy
consistency.Originally used to provide a thin coating of the then rare
light-firing clays over a red body, but has also been world-wide for
decoration.The term 'slip' is generally reserved for liquid 'natural' clays
or bodies used for decorative pottery.

I don't know if this helps in the discussion.