search  current discussion  categories  safety - toxicity 

tr: iron poisoning

updated thu 7 nov 02


Edouard Bastarache on wed 6 nov 02

Allo Galen,

good to have a pathologist among us, and pottery-obsessed.

Generalized hemosiderosis may occur following excessive
iron intake, parenterally or by mouth, among other causes.


Edouard Bastarache
Irreductible Quebecois
Indomitable Quebeker

----- Original Message -----
From: G.M. Schauer
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 8:53 AM
Subject: ?iron poisoning

> I am new to the list, an obsessed 'hobby potter' but my day job is
> pathologist...
> I agree the bad water smell is not the iron but sulphur-containing or
> compounds, or bacteria. It is virutally impossible for a normal person to
> get an iron overdose from drinking or smelling the water. The body has a
> mechanism to restrict intestinal absorption of iron beyond that needed for
> muscle and red blood cell production etc, although combining acidic foods
> drink (ie. orange juice) with an iron rich meal will increase intestinal
> uptake of iron. Getting a blood transfusion is a direct input of iron to
> the body, not the same at all as dietary iron intake.
> One caveat to all this is that one of the most common inherited diseases
> caucasian people of european descent is 'hereditary hemochromatosis' in
> which the body does not handle iron normally, and it can build up in
> and cause damage. If you are a middle aged or older adult, a blood test
> tell you if are at risk (affected people will demonstrate an abnormality
> the iron-carrying protein over time, before organs damage occurs). Then
> need to get the genetic test for this disease, and restrict iron intake
> perhaps have other treatments if you are found to have the mutations.
> Galen Schauer
> Plymouth, Minnesota
> Send postings to
> You may look at the archives for the list or change your subscription
> settings from
> Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at