Russel Fouts on sun 26 nov 06
This is the glaze I'm using It's Mathias Ostermann's #1 Maiolica glaze,
Orton Cone 05. Straight out of his book.
60.0 Ferro 3124
10.0 Ferro 3195
6.5 Ball Clay (Bell Dark)
6.5 Kaolin (EPK)
I use ESVA ball clay and leave out the whiting (because I didn't have
any and it was such a small ammount). Then I readjusted the glaze to
- I mix it up with 80% water.
- Watch the thickness! It it's too thick and only on one side of the pot
(the inside, for instance), it can break the pot. Or it can shiver.
- When applied correctly, it's a great glaze, will never craze.
- No crawling
- No pin-holing
- It powders quite a lot so I spray it with CMC solution before painting.
- It's a terrific glaze, very forgiving.